If You Teach in the U.S. You May Be a Mandated Reporter of Abuse

If you are a clergy person, educator, healthcare professional, counselor, therapist, law enforcement or person working in a variety of other service professions, you may be a mandated reporter of child abuse.

The U.S. government website at https://www.childwelfare.gov has information about laws, policies and other subjects related to the prevention and reporting of child abuse in all 50 states, on tribal lands and in the U.S. territories. 

As of this writing, at bottom of the home page, there are two red squares that link to How to Report Child Abuse or Neglect and Find Help With a Personal Situation. There is also a page called Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect at https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/laws-policies/statutes/manda/. To access related laws, go to https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/laws-policies/state/ and choose your state, land or territory.

The Childwelfare.gov website is updated often, so links change. If the above links are not working, call the Child Help line below.

Child Help at (800) 4-A-CHILD and 800-422-4453 provides crisis counseling and referrals in 170 languages to people all over the United States. Their website at https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/ and their live counselors have referral information for reporting child abuse in every city and county in all 50 states, tribal lands, U.S. territories and certain parts of Canada. Child Help also provides other types of counseling and referrals for victims, survivors and their families.

RAINN, the Abuse and Incest National Network at (800) 656-HOPE and https://rainn.org provides resources and referrals for victims of sexual violence of all ages, including the prevention and reporting of child sexual abuse.